The Teachings of Yoga (Part 13: Stabilizing/Clearing the Mind, cont.)
21 December 2013
Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras – Chapter 1: (Stabilizing/Clearing the Mind cont.; Sutras 1.36-1.39)
Overview of Sutras 1.36-1.39)
The previous sutras (1.34 – 1.35) were the 1st and 2nd of 5 specific “concentrations” that Patanjali recommended for stabilizing the mind. And we were reminded to become aware of the actual sensing itself, not merely the objects. This applies also to the next three sutras (1.36 – 38) and to the next (1.39) which is not specified and allows for the practitioner to concentrate on whatever object or principle they may choose.
On to the sutras…
Yoga Sutra (1.36) – vishoka va jyotishmati. Vishoka is a state free of pain and suffering; Va is or (referencing the other concentration practices); Jyotishmati means the supreme or inner light, divine light.
Translated… Or, concentration on a pain free inner state that remains lucid and bright, this also brings stability and tranquility. In other words. Tranquility may also be attained by fixing the mind on the Inner (Divine) Light, which is beyond pain, suffering and sorrow.
A simple way to practice this sutra is to visualize a glowing luminosity in the heart center and focus on that; this is not the physical heart but the heart center (chakra) in the center of the chest. Hold your concentration there and allow any thoughts, images, impressions or memories that might arise in the mind field to pass like clouds in the sky, maintaining an attitude of indifference; this way you’ll remain unaffected, undisturbed and undistracted.
Yoga Sutra (1.37) – vita raga vishayam va chittam. Vita means without, free- from; Raga is attachment, desires; Vishayam means things (the objects of the senses); Va is or (referencing the other concentration practices); Chittam is mind-field, “stuff” of the mind.
Translated to mean… Or, by contemplating having a mind that is free from desires, the mind also gets stabilized and tranquil. In this sutra, Patanjali asks us to believe that at our very core there is an unchanging center of goodness and light and we should contemplate that.
Yoga Sutra (1.38) – svapna nidra jnana alambanam va. Svapna is dream (state of dreaming, not the content); Nidra means sleep, deep sleep; Jnana is knowledge, experience based on observation; Alambanam is resting on or support for concentration; Va is or (referencing the other concentration practices).
Translated this is… Or, by focusing on the nature of the consciousness stream in the dream state or the nature of the state of dreamless sleep, the mind also becomes stabilized and tranquil. Said another way: Or, the mind achieves tranquility by concentrating on the experience of a dream or deep sleep.
This sutra simply reminds us of yet another option for our focus of concentration/meditation.
Yoga Sutra (1.39) – yatha abhimata dhyanat va. Yatha means as, according to; Abhimata is one’s own predisposition, choice, desire, attraction; Dhyanat means by meditating; Va is or (referencing the other concentration practices).
This is translated as… Or, by contemplating or concentrating on whatever object or principle the practitioner may like, or towards which one has a predisposition, the mind becomes stable and tranquil.
The objects chosen are not as important as the intention!
To comment on the basic message that Patanjali gives in this sutra; it is apparent that it matters little what we choose as the focus of our practice; the intention of the practice is the crucial element. Although while the principle of one-pointedness can be applied to any of the objects chosen, and they may have some benefit, the meditator would so well to learn to choose more refined objects to stabilize the mind for meditation, this will accelerate the process.
*Part 12 may be viewed by clicking on: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 12: Stabilizing/Clearing the Mind)
*Part 11: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 11: Obstacles & Solutions)
*Part 10: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 10: Samadhi Attained by Devotion, cont.)
*Part 9: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 9: Samadhi Attained by Devotion)
*Part 8: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 8: Effort & Commitment – Cont.)
*Part 7: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 7: Effort & Commitment) – and parts 1 through 6 may be found at the bottom of part 7.
*Rae Indigo is ERYT500.
Latest Blog Posts
- The True Goal of Yoga (Part 2): On or Off the Mat?
- Yoga – Is It a Religion? (Part 2)
- Yoga – Is It a Religion? (Part 1)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 16)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 15)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 14)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 13)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 12)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 11)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 10)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 9)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 8)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 7)
- Has Your Mind Made You Its Slave?
- Within Your Inherent Nature, Yoga Is Already Being Established
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 6)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 5)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 4)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 3)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 2)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 1)
- Examples of Spiritually Empowered Women…
- Spiritually Empowered Women…
- Coping With Past Friends Who Have Turned Against You…
- The Kleshas (part 5 – Vijnanamaya kosha)…
- The Kleshas (part 4 – Manomaya kosha)…
- The Kleshas (part 3 – Pranamaya kosha)…
- The Kleshas (part 2 – Annamaya kosha)…
- The Kleshas (afflictions of the mind)
- Plant-Based Vs Animal-Based diets – What Does Science Say?
- Compassion in the Bhagavad Gita…
- Compassion and Yoga Are One
- Sympathy, Empathy & Compassion – Do You Know the Difference?
- How the Benefits of Yoga Transcend Conventional Exercise Regimes
- Yogis, Gurus & Spiritual Teachers – Spot the False Ones…
- Choosing a Qualified Yoga Teacher…
- Problems Athletes May Have on a Vegan Diet and Solutions…
- Athletes and Veganism (With / Video)…
- Yoga and Veganism…
- Transitioning from Vegetarian to Vegan…
- Are Plants Sentient Beings?
- Violence and Compassion in Veganism…
- The Spiritual Aspects of Veganism (Part 2)…
- The Spiritual Aspects of Veganism (Part 1)…
- Effects of a Plant-Based (Vegan) Diet on Mental/Emotional States…
- The Ethics of Veganism…
- Snacking – Vegan Style (W/Bonus Recipe)…
- Supporting Evidence for Vegans
- Dining Out – A Vegan guide…
- Vegan Baking – Without Dairy or Eggs (W/Bonus Recipe)
- Eliminating Dairy from Your Diet (W/Bonus Recipe)
- Vegan Nutrition – Addressing Your Concerns…
- Cauliflower – A Versatile Vegan Delight is In Season…
- Stocking Your Vegan Kitchen (A Basic List)
- Vegan Substitutes for Animal Products
- Veganism – Getting Started
- Sattva, Rajas & Tamas – The 3 Gunas
- Your Body’s pH – Is It Acid or Alkaline?
- Yoga and Muscle Conductivity
- Yoga and Diabetes
- How to Use Thoughts to Vibrate at a Higher Level
- How to Raise Your Thought Vibration
- How to Raise Your Personal Vibration
- The Effects of Spiritual Vibrations in the Home (Vastu Shastra)
- Yogic Techniques for Raising your Vibration and Expanding your Awareness
- “Vibrational Healing”
- Our Vibratory Patterns – What They Mean (pt. 3)
- Our Vibratory Patterns – What They Mean (pt. 2)
- Our Vibratory Patterns – What They Mean (pt. 1)
- The Kleshas (afflictions of the mind)
- Discovering Your Dharma (your true life path)
- God Bless the Child of a Dysfunctional Family
- How to Live Like a Yogi
- Yoga Should Be Fun Too!
- Choose Peace – Embrace Life
- Yoga – The Only Exercise You Need!
- Navigating the Roller Coaster of Life
- Adapt a Plant-Based Diet for Optimal Health
- Yoga Counteracts Stress & Anxiety
- Ayurveda – The Basics
- Finding Peace in Today’s World
- The Importance of the Breath in Yoga
- Listening to Your Heart
- Yoga Practice for Improved Lung Function
- How Well is Your Head and Heart Aligned?
- Is Ashtanga Yoga a Religion?
- Meditation on the “Feeling” of Being
- More About Vairagya (Non-Attachment)
- Abhyasa & Vairagya – the Two Pillars
- Yoga as Science
- Jnana or Bhakti – Which Are You?
- Five Ancient Yoga Secrets for the ULTIMATE Beauty Treatment
- Mindfulness: Benefits & Cultivation…
- Mindfulness – What’s the Buzz?
- Aids to Discovering Spiritual Truth
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 18: Gaining Knowledge – Higher Truths, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 17: Gaining Knowledge – Higher Truths)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 16: Types of Engrossments, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 15: Types of Engrossments)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 14: After the Mind is Stable)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 13: Stabilizing/Clearing the Mind, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 12: Stabilizing/Clearing the Mind)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 11: Obstacles & Solutions)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 10: Samadhi Attained by Devotion, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 9: Samadhi Attained by Devotion)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 8: Effort & Commitment – Cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 7: Effort & Commitment)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 6: Types of Concentration)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 5: Practice & Non-Attachment, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 4: Practice & Non-Attachment)
- Karma, Self-determination and Free Will
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 3: Un-coloring Your Thoughts – Cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 2: Un-coloring Your Thoughts)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 1 – Yoga Defined)
- Yoga Provides Relief for PTSD Sufferers
- Navarasa – the 9 Rasas or Emotional Essences
- Yoga, Sensitivity and Intention
- Using Bandhas to “Lock-In” Your Life-Force
- Yoga and a Grateful Heart
- Is It Important To Be “Spiritual?”
- Meditation – It’s Not What You Think!
- Looking for a Guru?
- Yoga, Ayurveda and Whole-Foods
- Yoga’s Perspective on Fear & Guilt
- Develop a Positive Attitude with Yoga
- Break the Stranglehold of Thought!
- The Siddhis – What Are They & How Should We View Them?
- The Problem of Thoughts & Yoga’s Solution
- Locating the Source of Stress & the Way of Yoga
- The Ego According to Yoga Philosophy
- Principles of Health and Natural Healing
- Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and Advaita Vedanta
- The Wisdom of Patanjali
- Yoga, Love and “Connection”
- Common Household Toxins: Are They In Your Home?
- High Blood Pressure – Yoga Lowers the Numbers!
- Therapeutic Yoga Asana for Diabetics
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – Yoga Eases the Weariness
- Obstacles to Spiritual Awakening (Self-realization)
- Measuring Spiritual Growth
- Yoga Helps Manage IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Hatha or Ashtanga Yoga? A Beginning Student’s Dilemma
- Nooch – Excellent Source of B12 for Vegan’s and Vegetarians
- The Advantages of a Plant-Based Diet (Pt. 3)
- The Advantages of a Plant-Based Diet (Pt. 2)
- The Advantages of a Plant-Based Diet (Pt. 1)
- Brain Function – Yoga VS Aerobic Exercise…
- Practicing Self-Enquiry in Daily Life
- Are You Happy? If Not, Here’s Some Tips…
- Introduction to Blue-Green Algae (an overview)
- Summer – The Time for Healthy, Cleansing Foods
- Restorative Yoga Practice and Its Many Benefits
- Got Belly Fat? Yoga Asana Can Help!
- Overweight? Yoga is for You Too!
- Positive Thinking, the Power of Thoughts and Patanjali
- Improve Your Posture with Yoga
- Managing Sciatica With Yoga
- Want to Quit Smoking? Yoga Can Help!
- Yoga to Improve Breast Appearance
- The Main Traditional Indian Yogas
- Yoga, Aging and Bone Loss
- Managing Anxiety with Pratipaksha Bhavana
- Using Yoga to Deal With Those Persistent Samskaras
- The Importance of Meditation to Yoga Practice
- Meditation Proven to Decrease Stress and Reduce Inflammation
- The Awesome Benefits of a Yoga Retreat
- Start Your Day Right with “Wake-Up Yoga”
- Sanskrit Will Enrich Your Yoga Practice
- Relieve Allergy Symptoms with Yoga
- Could Yoga Practice Cause Your Skin to Break Out?
- Mala – Hindu Prayer Beads
- Core Strength and Its Importance
- Try These 12 Tips for a Healthier Life…
- Attention – It Can Prevent Injury During Yoga Practice
- The Importance of Attitude & Yoga Practice
- Diet, Hot Yoga and Your Skin…
- You Too Can Apply The Ultimate Beauty Treatment
- Yoga Asana to Balance Your Doshas
- The Meaning of Hand Mudras
- Yoga for Improved Eyesight (Video)
- The Importance of Balance in Yoga
- The Anti-Aging Benefits of Yoga
- Boost Your Immunity with Yoga Practice
- Addressing Common Yoga Injuries (Pt. 2 of 2)
- Addressing Common Yoga Injuries (Pt. 1 of 2)
- Yoga Asana, Emotions & Our Internal Organs…
- Jala Neti – De-mystified…(Video)
- The Basic Mechanisms of Yogic Breathing
- An Anatomical Analysis of Yogic Breathing
- Asana – Protect Your Joints with Proper Alignment
- Yoga – as a Solution for Sleep Disorders
- Homemade Vegan Facemasks
- The Ethical Standards of a Yoga Teacher
- Do the Yamas and Niyamas Support Veganism?
- Yoga & the 5 Kleshas
- Ayurveda & the Three Doshas
- Recovering from Antibiotic Use (or over-use?)…
- The Five Principles of Yoga…
- The Five Koshas (Part 5 – Anandamaya Kosha: bliss sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Part 4 – Vijnanamaya Kosha: wisdom sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Part 3 – Manomaya Kosha: mind sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Part 2 – Pranamaya: air sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Part 1- Annamaya: food sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Sheaths)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 5 – Ishvara Pranidhana)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 4 – Svadhyaya)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 3 – Tapas)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 2 – Samtosha)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 1 – Shaucha)
- The Five Yamas (Part 5 – Aparigraha)
- The Five Yamas (Part 4 – Brahmacharya)
- The Five Yamas (Part 3 – Asteya)
- The Five Yamas (Part 2 – Satya)
- The Five Yamas (Part 1 – Ahimsa)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 8 – Samadhi)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 7 – Dhyana, W/Video)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 6 –Dharana)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 5 –Pratyahara)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 4 – Pranayama)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 3 – Asana)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 2 – Niyama)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 1 – Yama)
- Patanjali’s Eightfold Path (the 8 Limbs of Yoga)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (Part 5)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (Part 4)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (Part 3)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (Part 2)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (part 1)
- The Miracle of Oatmeal Water
- How Diabetics Respond to a Vegan/Plant-based Diet
- Whey Protein Supplements vs Plant-Based Proteins
- Yoga & Body Detoxification…
- Third Eye Meditation – Opening the 3rd Eye
- The Importance of the Feet & Pada Bandha in Yoga
- How Inflammatory is Your Diet?
- My Hero – Birke Baehr…
- Raw Vegan Holiday Salad Recipes
- Vegan Holiday Snack Recipes
- Vegan Holiday Dessert Recipes
- Healthy Holiday Indulgence
- Veganism & Yoga
- Non-GMOs after Prop 37 (Video)
- Health, Wellbeing & the “Little Known” Bindu Chakra
- Yogic Alignment – Body, Mind & Spirit
- Serious Health Threat – Autointoxication
- The Basics of Cleansing & Detoxification
- Are You Addicted to Food – Think Again
- Are You “Sold” on Organics?
- Ten-hut – Yoga & the Military
- Yoga and Depression
- Combating Fibromyalgia
- Welcome To New Rae Indigo Blog
Popular Blog Tags