The Teachings of Yoga (Part 10: Samadhi Attained by Devotion, cont.)
15 December 2013
Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras – Chapter 1: (Samadhi attained by devotion, cont.; Sutras 1.25-1.29)
This practice takes the student on a direct route inward, systematically penetrating each of the levels of consciousness. As we have already reviewed in part 9, it is done with sincerity and dedication (sutra 1.23) directed towards the untainted creative source or pure consciousness, Ishvara (sutra 1.24). Now in part 10 it will be shown how Ishvara is represented and invoked by OM and how that consciousness contains the seed of omniscience which is the very source of the teachings from all the ancient sages.
We will also be reminded in these next sutras that for it to have its proper effect, the sound of OM needs to be remembered with a deep feeling for the true meaning of what it represents.
On to the sutras…
Yoga Sutra (1.25) – tatra niratishayam sarvajna bijam. Tatra means there, in Ishvara (that special purusha); Niratishayam is unsurpassed, the highest, limitless; Sarvajna means all knowing from (sarva, all and jna, to know); Bijam means seed, root, origin.
Translated to mean…The pure consciousness is also the seed of pure knowledge or omniscience. In other words. Ishvara is unmatched and is the ultimate source of all knowledge, while in us (or others) it is only a seed.
Yoga Sutra (1.26) – sah purvesham api guruh kalena anavachchhedat. Sah is he or that, Purvesham means of the first, former, of the ancients; Api is even, also; Guruh means guru, teacher; Kalena means by time; Anavachchhedat indicates not limited by time, unconditioned, continuous.
From that consciousness (Ishvara) the ancient-most teachers were taught, since it is not limited or conditioned by the constraint of time. So, God/Isvara is the original teacher of all, even the most ancient of teachers, and is not limited by time.
Ishvara, being pure consciousness and eternal in nature, is the direct teacher of all of the ancient, earlier, or even the first of the teachers within human history. In other words, some of the original teachers of humanity have learned directly from pure consciousness, not from a human lineage of teacher-student, etc., whereby there is just a passing on of information. This direct learning from the source continues to be available at all times and places, though the help of human teachers is certainly a useful, if not an essential aid in keeping the student focused on the goal.
Yoga Sutra (1.27) – tasya vachakah pranavah. Tasya means of that, being (Ishvara); Vachakah is a verbal symbol, word, indicator or term; Pranavah is the mantra symbolized by AUM or OM this symbol always retains its purity.
Translated…The sacred word designating this creative source (Ishvara) is the sound OM, called pranava.
OM has a high vibrational quality but also has many other meanings, one of which is as a sound or term that denotes pure consciousness (Ishvara) as referred to in the preceding sutras. The word pranavah literally translates as “humming.”
Traditional teachers say that to properly chant OM (more clearly pronounced AUM), begin in the throat, then role through the mouth, and end with the closing of the lips. This then implies that OM represents the joining together of all possible sounds. Other particular mantras are simply a specific characteristic of “a sound” while Om is the totality of all sound. Used as the sound of Ishvara (God), Om implies that Ishvara (God) is ALL, the sum total of creation, existence, and change.
Yoga Sutra (1.28) – tat japah tat artha bhavanam. Tat means its, whose, being; Japah is repeated remembrance, repetition; Tat means its, whose, being; Artha equals meaning; Bhavanam means understanding with devotional feeling, absorbing, dwelling upon.
Translated…This sound is repeatedly remembered with deep feeling for the full meaning of what it represents. Swami Vivekananda translates it thusly: “The repetition of this (Om) and meditating on its meaning (is the way).”
It is important for the student to remember that not only the vibration (japa), but also the deep meaning of the mantra, and avoid performing a merely parrot-like repetition in the mind. Keep in mind one of Raja Yoga’s basic tenets is focused attention (in this case on OM) that results in deeper and more subtle perceptions.
Yoga Sutra (1.29) – tatah pratyak chetana adhigamah api antaraya abhavash cha. Tatah is thence, from this practice; Pratyak is the inner, individual; Chetana means true Self, consciousness; Adhigamah is knowledge, understanding, realization or attainment; Api means also; Antaraya is of obstacles or impediments; Abhavash means absence, disappearance, elimination; Cha means and or also.
Translated this sutra means…From that remembering comes the realization of the individual Self and the removal of obstacles.
Here Patanjali points out two direct benefits that come from the proper practice of the OM mantra:
- 1. Obstacles are removed.
- 2. This is a direct route to Self-realization.
If one is able to sincerely, devotedly, intensely practice the OM mantra to the depths of its meaning, it is a complete practice in and of itself. Swami Satchidananda summarized this sutra, clarifying it, when he wrote, “Normally, the mind and body limit you, but by holding something infinite, you slowly raise yourself from the finite objects that bind you and transcend them. Through that you get rid of all the obstacles and your path is made easy.”
*Part 9 may be viewed by clicking on: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 9: Samadhi Attained by Devotion)
*Part 8: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 8: Effort & Commitment – Cont.)
*Part 7: The Teachings of Yoga (Part 7: Effort & Commitment) – and parts 1 through 6 may be found at the bottom of part 7.
*Rae Indigo is ERYT500.
Latest Blog Posts
- The True Goal of Yoga (Part 2): On or Off the Mat?
- Yoga – Is It a Religion? (Part 2)
- Yoga – Is It a Religion? (Part 1)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 16)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 15)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 14)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 13)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 12)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 11)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 10)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 9)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 8)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 7)
- Has Your Mind Made You Its Slave?
- Within Your Inherent Nature, Yoga Is Already Being Established
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 6)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 5)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 4)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 3)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 2)
- Approaches to the True Goal of Yoga (Part 1)
- Examples of Spiritually Empowered Women…
- Spiritually Empowered Women…
- Coping With Past Friends Who Have Turned Against You…
- The Kleshas (part 5 – Vijnanamaya kosha)…
- The Kleshas (part 4 – Manomaya kosha)…
- The Kleshas (part 3 – Pranamaya kosha)…
- The Kleshas (part 2 – Annamaya kosha)…
- The Kleshas (afflictions of the mind)
- Plant-Based Vs Animal-Based diets – What Does Science Say?
- Compassion in the Bhagavad Gita…
- Compassion and Yoga Are One
- Sympathy, Empathy & Compassion – Do You Know the Difference?
- How the Benefits of Yoga Transcend Conventional Exercise Regimes
- Yogis, Gurus & Spiritual Teachers – Spot the False Ones…
- Choosing a Qualified Yoga Teacher…
- Problems Athletes May Have on a Vegan Diet and Solutions…
- Athletes and Veganism (With / Video)…
- Yoga and Veganism…
- Transitioning from Vegetarian to Vegan…
- Are Plants Sentient Beings?
- Violence and Compassion in Veganism…
- The Spiritual Aspects of Veganism (Part 2)…
- The Spiritual Aspects of Veganism (Part 1)…
- Effects of a Plant-Based (Vegan) Diet on Mental/Emotional States…
- The Ethics of Veganism…
- Snacking – Vegan Style (W/Bonus Recipe)…
- Supporting Evidence for Vegans
- Dining Out – A Vegan guide…
- Vegan Baking – Without Dairy or Eggs (W/Bonus Recipe)
- Eliminating Dairy from Your Diet (W/Bonus Recipe)
- Vegan Nutrition – Addressing Your Concerns…
- Cauliflower – A Versatile Vegan Delight is In Season…
- Stocking Your Vegan Kitchen (A Basic List)
- Vegan Substitutes for Animal Products
- Veganism – Getting Started
- Sattva, Rajas & Tamas – The 3 Gunas
- Your Body’s pH – Is It Acid or Alkaline?
- Yoga and Muscle Conductivity
- Yoga and Diabetes
- How to Use Thoughts to Vibrate at a Higher Level
- How to Raise Your Thought Vibration
- How to Raise Your Personal Vibration
- The Effects of Spiritual Vibrations in the Home (Vastu Shastra)
- Yogic Techniques for Raising your Vibration and Expanding your Awareness
- “Vibrational Healing”
- Our Vibratory Patterns – What They Mean (pt. 3)
- Our Vibratory Patterns – What They Mean (pt. 2)
- Our Vibratory Patterns – What They Mean (pt. 1)
- The Kleshas (afflictions of the mind)
- Discovering Your Dharma (your true life path)
- God Bless the Child of a Dysfunctional Family
- How to Live Like a Yogi
- Yoga Should Be Fun Too!
- Choose Peace – Embrace Life
- Yoga – The Only Exercise You Need!
- Navigating the Roller Coaster of Life
- Adapt a Plant-Based Diet for Optimal Health
- Yoga Counteracts Stress & Anxiety
- Ayurveda – The Basics
- Finding Peace in Today’s World
- The Importance of the Breath in Yoga
- Listening to Your Heart
- Yoga Practice for Improved Lung Function
- How Well is Your Head and Heart Aligned?
- Is Ashtanga Yoga a Religion?
- Meditation on the “Feeling” of Being
- More About Vairagya (Non-Attachment)
- Abhyasa & Vairagya – the Two Pillars
- Yoga as Science
- Jnana or Bhakti – Which Are You?
- Five Ancient Yoga Secrets for the ULTIMATE Beauty Treatment
- Mindfulness: Benefits & Cultivation…
- Mindfulness – What’s the Buzz?
- Aids to Discovering Spiritual Truth
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 18: Gaining Knowledge – Higher Truths, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 17: Gaining Knowledge – Higher Truths)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 16: Types of Engrossments, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 15: Types of Engrossments)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 14: After the Mind is Stable)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 13: Stabilizing/Clearing the Mind, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 12: Stabilizing/Clearing the Mind)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 11: Obstacles & Solutions)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 10: Samadhi Attained by Devotion, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 9: Samadhi Attained by Devotion)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 8: Effort & Commitment – Cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 7: Effort & Commitment)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 6: Types of Concentration)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 5: Practice & Non-Attachment, cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 4: Practice & Non-Attachment)
- Karma, Self-determination and Free Will
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 3: Un-coloring Your Thoughts – Cont.)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 2: Un-coloring Your Thoughts)
- The Teachings of Yoga (Part 1 – Yoga Defined)
- Yoga Provides Relief for PTSD Sufferers
- Navarasa – the 9 Rasas or Emotional Essences
- Yoga, Sensitivity and Intention
- Using Bandhas to “Lock-In” Your Life-Force
- Yoga and a Grateful Heart
- Is It Important To Be “Spiritual?”
- Meditation – It’s Not What You Think!
- Looking for a Guru?
- Yoga, Ayurveda and Whole-Foods
- Yoga’s Perspective on Fear & Guilt
- Develop a Positive Attitude with Yoga
- Break the Stranglehold of Thought!
- The Siddhis – What Are They & How Should We View Them?
- The Problem of Thoughts & Yoga’s Solution
- Locating the Source of Stress & the Way of Yoga
- The Ego According to Yoga Philosophy
- Principles of Health and Natural Healing
- Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and Advaita Vedanta
- The Wisdom of Patanjali
- Yoga, Love and “Connection”
- Common Household Toxins: Are They In Your Home?
- High Blood Pressure – Yoga Lowers the Numbers!
- Therapeutic Yoga Asana for Diabetics
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – Yoga Eases the Weariness
- Obstacles to Spiritual Awakening (Self-realization)
- Measuring Spiritual Growth
- Yoga Helps Manage IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Hatha or Ashtanga Yoga? A Beginning Student’s Dilemma
- Nooch – Excellent Source of B12 for Vegan’s and Vegetarians
- The Advantages of a Plant-Based Diet (Pt. 3)
- The Advantages of a Plant-Based Diet (Pt. 2)
- The Advantages of a Plant-Based Diet (Pt. 1)
- Brain Function – Yoga VS Aerobic Exercise…
- Practicing Self-Enquiry in Daily Life
- Are You Happy? If Not, Here’s Some Tips…
- Introduction to Blue-Green Algae (an overview)
- Summer – The Time for Healthy, Cleansing Foods
- Restorative Yoga Practice and Its Many Benefits
- Got Belly Fat? Yoga Asana Can Help!
- Overweight? Yoga is for You Too!
- Positive Thinking, the Power of Thoughts and Patanjali
- Improve Your Posture with Yoga
- Managing Sciatica With Yoga
- Want to Quit Smoking? Yoga Can Help!
- Yoga to Improve Breast Appearance
- The Main Traditional Indian Yogas
- Yoga, Aging and Bone Loss
- Managing Anxiety with Pratipaksha Bhavana
- Using Yoga to Deal With Those Persistent Samskaras
- The Importance of Meditation to Yoga Practice
- Meditation Proven to Decrease Stress and Reduce Inflammation
- The Awesome Benefits of a Yoga Retreat
- Start Your Day Right with “Wake-Up Yoga”
- Sanskrit Will Enrich Your Yoga Practice
- Relieve Allergy Symptoms with Yoga
- Could Yoga Practice Cause Your Skin to Break Out?
- Mala – Hindu Prayer Beads
- Core Strength and Its Importance
- Try These 12 Tips for a Healthier Life…
- Attention – It Can Prevent Injury During Yoga Practice
- The Importance of Attitude & Yoga Practice
- Diet, Hot Yoga and Your Skin…
- You Too Can Apply The Ultimate Beauty Treatment
- Yoga Asana to Balance Your Doshas
- The Meaning of Hand Mudras
- Yoga for Improved Eyesight (Video)
- The Importance of Balance in Yoga
- The Anti-Aging Benefits of Yoga
- Boost Your Immunity with Yoga Practice
- Addressing Common Yoga Injuries (Pt. 2 of 2)
- Addressing Common Yoga Injuries (Pt. 1 of 2)
- Yoga Asana, Emotions & Our Internal Organs…
- Jala Neti – De-mystified…(Video)
- The Basic Mechanisms of Yogic Breathing
- An Anatomical Analysis of Yogic Breathing
- Asana – Protect Your Joints with Proper Alignment
- Yoga – as a Solution for Sleep Disorders
- Homemade Vegan Facemasks
- The Ethical Standards of a Yoga Teacher
- Do the Yamas and Niyamas Support Veganism?
- Yoga & the 5 Kleshas
- Ayurveda & the Three Doshas
- Recovering from Antibiotic Use (or over-use?)…
- The Five Principles of Yoga…
- The Five Koshas (Part 5 – Anandamaya Kosha: bliss sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Part 4 – Vijnanamaya Kosha: wisdom sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Part 3 – Manomaya Kosha: mind sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Part 2 – Pranamaya: air sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Part 1- Annamaya: food sheath)
- The Five Koshas (Sheaths)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 5 – Ishvara Pranidhana)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 4 – Svadhyaya)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 3 – Tapas)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 2 – Samtosha)
- The Five Niyamas (Part 1 – Shaucha)
- The Five Yamas (Part 5 – Aparigraha)
- The Five Yamas (Part 4 – Brahmacharya)
- The Five Yamas (Part 3 – Asteya)
- The Five Yamas (Part 2 – Satya)
- The Five Yamas (Part 1 – Ahimsa)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 8 – Samadhi)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 7 – Dhyana, W/Video)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 6 –Dharana)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 5 –Pratyahara)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 4 – Pranayama)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 3 – Asana)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 2 – Niyama)
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga (Part 1 – Yama)
- Patanjali’s Eightfold Path (the 8 Limbs of Yoga)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (Part 5)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (Part 4)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (Part 3)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (Part 2)
- 5 Positive Lifestyle Changes for the New Year (part 1)
- The Miracle of Oatmeal Water
- How Diabetics Respond to a Vegan/Plant-based Diet
- Whey Protein Supplements vs Plant-Based Proteins
- Yoga & Body Detoxification…
- Third Eye Meditation – Opening the 3rd Eye
- The Importance of the Feet & Pada Bandha in Yoga
- How Inflammatory is Your Diet?
- My Hero – Birke Baehr…
- Raw Vegan Holiday Salad Recipes
- Vegan Holiday Snack Recipes
- Vegan Holiday Dessert Recipes
- Healthy Holiday Indulgence
- Veganism & Yoga
- Non-GMOs after Prop 37 (Video)
- Health, Wellbeing & the “Little Known” Bindu Chakra
- Yogic Alignment – Body, Mind & Spirit
- Serious Health Threat – Autointoxication
- The Basics of Cleansing & Detoxification
- Are You Addicted to Food – Think Again
- Are You “Sold” on Organics?
- Ten-hut – Yoga & the Military
- Yoga and Depression
- Combating Fibromyalgia
- Welcome To New Rae Indigo Blog
Popular Blog Tags
Post Your Comments
You must be logged in to post a comment.